Palmaria is an island at the westernmost end of the Gulf of La Spezia.
• Trek begins 8:30 a.m. from Riomaggiore train station, departing by train to La Spezia for city sights and the open air food market (produce, cheeses, fish and meats).
• 30-minute boat trip from the La Spezia "Bay of Poets" to Portovenere, then on to the island of Palmaria, passing small rustic villages along the shore.
• Palmaria trek along the water's edge, with Portovenere visible across the the inlet. Trek leads uphill near an old quarry, and then descends into a small village, where the tour stops for lunch, and possibly a swim. After lunch, return via the same trail to the boat dock.
• Departure by boat to Portovenere to explore the village, the hidden city center, and visit both St. Peter's Church and Lord Byron's Grotto, beneath the massive historic Doria Castle up the hillside.
• Return to catch the boat to Cinque Terre, with stops in Riomaggiore, Manarola, Vernazza and then a stop at Monterosso al Mare. This will end the day, with many excellent photo opportunities along the trek.
• There is plenty of time to explore Portovenere, its shops and its stunning views. The trek ends with a boat ride back to Riomaggiore and views of the trails just hiked from a vantage point on the sea.